Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mark Driscoll


On Wednesday night, four of the guys I disciple piled into the minivan with me to hear Mark Driscoll speak in Lenexa, KS (suburb of Kansas City). I value times like that, to connect with those guys in the car, as we drove about 1.5 hours round trip.

He spoke from Mark 1 and 2, spending most of the time in 1:15, 17 and 2:16, 17. He talked through 4 things Jesus said. Jesus tells us to repent, believe the Gospel, tell others about Him, and don't be religious. I enjoyed hearing him speak about things, which we sometimes view as "basic".  It really challenged the way I think about and view these things. I appreciate how he gave a detailed description of a crucification, highlighting how we often skip over the heart of the Gospel, the death of Jesus for our sins. I also appreciate how he spoke of the Gospel vs. Religion, and we all struggle with trying to be "religious" at times.

I really enjoyed the drive home as I was able to share with the guys some of my thoughts and what I learned and hear from them what they learned from the talk. I'm thankful for that time for the five of us to learn and be challenged together.


 

No comments: