Welcome Week 2011 is officially in the books, and what a great week it was! As mentioned in my previous post, we planned to join in on the University organized events, and we just showed up to see how God might work.
That was a major highlight and "takeaway" for me as I look back at the week. There is a need for us to "just show up" and be present, while being sensitive and aware of where God might be leading us and who He might be leading us to.
We are so encouraged by how God led us and the opportunities we had to meet many Christian and non-Christian students alike.
A couple students who I really enjoyed meeting are Juan and Eric:
- Juan is a non-Christian student who I met at the University "carnival". He is a freshmen from small town Nebraska, new to Omaha, and is really just kind of lonely. The great thing with someone like Juan, who is without a car, is there are such practical ways to serve him by showing him around town and taking him to get groceries. He was really taken aback by that idea and couldn't believe someone would offer to do such a thing.
- Eric is a Christian student who I knew was coming to UNO via facebook, but hadn't yet met him in person. I had a chance to meet him at the carnival as well, and the next night he came to our first weekly Cru meeting of the year. I was so encouraged by his apparent maturity and he is already such a "gatherer", bringing a classmate and another student from his dorm floor with him.
We definitely feel like this week has proven to be a huge success as far as meeting students and building momentum. Students seem to be engaged, excited to get more involved, and are actively getting to know each other.
Can't wait to continue walking alongside these students and the students we have yet to meet!


A couple pictures of our picnic Saturday afternoon in Elmwood Park.
1 comment:
I will be praying the the momentum continues. Bless your heart for all that you do there.
Post a Comment